Judging Process & Rules
Any artiste born in Bulawayo and practicing his/her art anywhere in the world or any artiste born anywhere and practising his/her art in Bulawayo is eligible. The awards also covers Matabeleland South and North. For 2018 only works done between 4 June 2017 and 30 March 2018 will be considered.
Call for applications
A call for applications was made on the 23rd of February 2018 for artists (individuals, stables or groups) to express their interest. Application forms will be made available at various access points as well as on our website. The application process will Close on the 13th April 2018. The public, fans and audience members and a team of experts can also nominate.
A panel of independent arts practitioners &committed art consumers will be selected representing all genres covered by the awards. Nominees will be announced thereafter. 25% of the total judgement will be by popular vote. 75 by judges.
Voting has begun on the 1st of May 2018 on Whatsapp, Twitter or Facebook, on the official website and RBAA Android Application.
Votes for individuals and groups are being accepted for awards in the following categories:
• Excellence in Visual Arts
• Excellence in Performing Arts (Music, Dance and Theatre)
• Excellence in Arts Education
• Excellence in Media
• Excellence in Fashion And Lifestyle
• Excellence in Literary Arts
• Excellence in Film & TV
• Individuals involved in the organisation or sub-committees of the awards cannot be nominated for any award
• Individuals and groups may self-nominate or be nominated for an award.
• Only work by artists working in Bulawayo and feeder towns and Cities or artists born in Bulawayo and working elsewhere are eligible.
• Individuals and groups may be nominated in multiple award categories where appropriate.
• Separate applications are required for each nomination category.
• Individuals and groups can be nominated in a category that they have been awarded in.
General Judging Criteria
Nominees and eventual winners for the Roil Byo Arts Awards will be selected on the basis of the following:
• Work must have been performed more than once or in the case of music released and played on radio and other public platforms.
• All works submitted must have been seen or consumed by the public.
• 25% of the vote in all awards will be voted for by the public
• Schools involved in the arts are only eligible in their own category and not in the main awards.
• Adjudication will be done by qualified and reputable judges, who include among others industry professionals, journalists and consumers.
• The judges’ decisions will be final.